Dear BOUSD Families,
It is with great enthusiasm that I welcome you back for another incredible school year here in BOUSD! There is much to celebrate as we embark on an exciting new school year.
Our theme for the 2019-20 school year is “Making the Day for ALL students.” We are committed to improving the educational experience for all students in the areas of academics, behavioral support and addressing the social-emotional needs of our students. There are many things we are doing to address these areas of need throughout our preschool-12th grade student population.
As a district, we recently added the following programs and resources to demonstrate our commitment to these areas:
- Providing the PSAT for every student in grades 8, 10 and 11 free of charge, during the school day, as well as targeted preparation to improve their scores year after year.
- Offering summer school to allow students to make up coursework and get back on track for graduation and college eligibility.
- Hiring Reading Specialists to serve all six of our elementary schools.
- Providing 1:1 technology in grades 3-6 at all of our elementary schools to provide better access to curriculum enriching materials that have accompanied our most recent textbook adoptions in Math and English Language Arts. Science curriculum is currently being piloted and will have an abundance of web-based curricular enhancements as well.
- Providing professional development for our staff in Multi-tiered System of Support (MTSS) and Emotional Intelligence to equip them to work effectively with students who are struggling.
We understand the challenges our students face in today’s ever-changing, social-media-centric society and, with financial help from the Brea Education Foundation, have invested in Project Kinship at the elementary, junior high and high school level. Our partnership with Project Kinship will help us ensure our most at-risk students receive the social-emotional, mental health, attendance and academic support necessary to remain healthy and to maximize their educational experience.
Lastly, school facility needs and upgrades will continue to be an area of focus throughout the district as we consider our next steps forward in prioritizing and funding our needs. Last year, we completed our District Facilities Master Plan and invite you to please take a look at the facility needs that were identified in the plan at your school site(s). Stay tuned for more information on our facility plans.
Please accept my personal invitation to attend our school and district-wide events. We have so many wonderful things to celebrate in our district, so please be sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for frequent posts and updates. We welcome and appreciate your input as part of our BOUSD family and look forward to an exciting and successful 2019-20 school year!
Brad Mason, Ed.D.
Brad Mason, Ed.D.