Board Goals 2021-2022
We are a devoted educational community that develops our students to become local and global influencers through dynamic learning experiences.
Providing unlimited possibilities that ignite the educational imagination of all learners to thrive in our ever-changing world.
Innovation - We embrace a culture that celebrates ingenuity and inspires intellectual exploration.
Engagement - We value a community of authentic collaborators to maximize student success.
Inspiration - We create experiences that spark the love of learning within our educational community.
Courage - We cultivate a growth mindset to develop resilient learners who are empowered to face adversity.
Inclusion - We nurture an environment that fosters a sense of belonging to celebrate the unique qualities of our diverse community.
FOCUS AREAS – How We Achieve Our Mission
FOCUS AREA 1.0 - Student Achievement
Student academic, behavioral and social-emotional success is crucial in order to graduate from our schools ready to be purposeful leaders in college, career, and life.
1.2 Prepare students to enter college and career ready upon graduation through rigorous and relevant coursework that fulfills the A-G requirements and all state standards.
- Provide a 3 year analysis of A-G data and develop a plan to increase the A-G completion rate by establishing an A-G academic progress review in the Counseling Department to monitor and increase student completion through student counseling, parent communication and enrollment in appropriate coursework; additionally, remediation and validation steps will be taken to support students who need to mitigate unsatisfactory grades through APEX or other available means.
1.3 Ensure equitable and inclusive learning opportunities are provided to meet the social-emotional, cultural and intellectual needs of all students.
- Execute Year-1 of the 2-Year Student Support Plan including robust Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 levels of academic and social-emotional intervention for students needing additional support. Student participation and services will be tracked and reported out quarterly during Goal Updates to the Board and a final report of student participation and services rendered will be provided to the Board and community at a School Board Meeting prior to the end of the 2021-2022 school year.
1.4 Ensure uniform implementation of district-wide initiatives and state standards, including but not limited to evidenced-based instructional practices and Multi-Tiered Systems of Supports (MTSS) to directly impact student achievement.
- Create and implement a district-wide MTSS plan and achieve consistent implementation in grades TK-12th throughout the district.
1.5 Establish and utilize district-wide benchmarks and assessment tools to strategically monitor student progress, set goals, align curriculum, and to inform practice to meet the specific needs of all students.
- Implement a formative assessment plan for TK-8th grade using two assessment periods during the year in math and ELA using i-Ready to drive PLC discussion, as well as, instruction and student identification for intervention.
FOCUS AREA 2.0 - Effective Instruction and Leadership
Leading with a positive growth mindset, all BOUSD staff emphasize meaningful, productive interactions and implement equitable, high-quality data-informed instruction. We actively engage each student in the learning process through the implementation of the core curriculum and effective instructional strategies, including the use of technology. To this end, we strive to attract, train, and retain employees as well as develop strategic leaders who embrace the vision and values of our district.
2.1 To create a culture of data-driven decision making across all levels of the organization.
- District, site administrators, and counselors will use data to evaluate student achievement gaps and utilize the information to coordinate and assign interventions for students. Counselors will meet individually with all students who are credit deficient and/or who have D’s and F’s to establish an academic plan to recover learning loss and follow-up on the established plan; Counselors will participate in district-wide PLCs to discuss academic and social emotional needs of students and develop a plan to meet student needs and to foster vertical articulation between schools assisting students transitioning to new schools.
2.2 Develop a long-term targeted and transparent professional learning plan that aligns with the district focus, enhances skills, and provides a dynamic, high-quality instructional program that facilitates life-long habits of intellectual inquiry.
- The district will provide ongoing training for site administrators to assist them in maximizing their PLC time as the mechanism for implementing the district Student Support Plan related to academic support and intervention for identified students.
2.5 Grow the effectiveness and leadership capacity of district administration by setting clear expectations and structure for accountability
- Update the school district’s entire Board Policy Manual and bring it to the Board for adoption.
- Cabinet will identify and update high-interest topics that align with Board Policies that need updating prior to the global adoption of the board policy manual and bring them to the Board for review and approval.
2.6 Utilize the strength, qualifications and depth of our current staffing resources to meet the needs of quality instruction and growth of student academic learning.
- Establish a teacher support program utilizing our instructional coaches and other teacher leaders to support new and developing teachers.
2.7 Value and invest in the professional learning of all employees.
- Promote and track staff development throughout the organization.
- Board & Cabinet development
- Science adoption training
- PLC training for administrators and teachers
- Classified employees
- Develop opportunities and leadership training for employees who desire to grow within the organization; offer opportunities for administrators to provide updates to the Board on initiatives in which they are providing leadership.
FOCUS AREA 3.0 - Community Engagement
Strong and effective communication builds trust and promotes a positive culture and encourages public relations by fostering a constructive and thoughtful relationship between schools, staff, and the community. BOUSD must effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders in a timely, relevant, and consistent way to encourage meaningful conversations and enhance community support.
3.1 Develop effective and purposeful communication with all community members to sustain a mutually supportive and trusting relationship with the Brea community.
- Implement a district wide grading portal for 3rd - 12th grade students so parents can access and monitor their child’s academic progress.
3.3 Manage communication efforts district-wide to facilitate consistent messaging and branding, utilizing both traditional and modern communication platforms to reach all stakeholders.
- Create and implement a comprehensive district wide Communication Plan focused on improved communication, marketing and feedback with our internal & external stakeholder groups. The plan will also incorporate the District’s emergency communication tree and resources for district staff to utilize in the event crisis communication is needed.
- Additionally, communication etiquette and district-wide communication expectations will be addressed in the district’s Branding and Communication Guide we will be distributing and reviewing with district leadership during our Administrative Advance in August.
3.4 Expand opportunities for students and community members to provide input, encourage participation in the decision-making process, and acknowledge all communication from all stakeholders.
- Update the district’s California Voting Rights Act Trustee Area Map using the 2020 Census Data prior to the March 1, 2022 deadline in preparation for November, 2022 Trustee Area Board elections.
FOCUS AREA 4.0 - Student Safety and Connectedness
A safe and respectful environment is essential to student success. By knowing each student’s name, face and story, BOUSD promotes a culture that nurtures the emotional health, safety, and well-being of students, staff, and parents.
4.1 Create and implement an integrated systematic approach to social emotional learning to enhance adult and student wellness.
- Create, implement and track the effectiveness of the SEL portion of our tiered Student Support Plan and report findings to the Board and community at a Board Meeting prior to the end of the year.
- Provide opportunities for staff to support their emotional and physical wellbeing through district offered wellness opportunities coordinated through the Human Resources Office and Employee Benefits.
4.4 Develop and implement consistent safety protocols with a multi-department approach at all school sites utilizing external agencies and partnerships.
- Continue to comply with COVID regulations and requirements as set forth by regulatory agencies ensuring the health and safety of our students and staff.
- Implement visitor management system district-wide at all of our schools and train staff to execute consistent protocols when interfacing with visitors at our school campuses.
FOCUS AREA 5. 0 - Utilization of Fiscal Capital
It is imperative for the district to operate efficiently and effectively with the limited resources available to meet the organization’s educational goals and operational needs.
5.3 Create a balanced budget aligned to the district’s LCAP, mission, and focus areas.
- Submit a Positive Budget Certification at each mandatory budget reporting period (1st Interim, 2nd Interim & Annual Budget).
5.5 Utilize the Facilities Master Plan, examine opportunities for facility enhancements including but not limited to modernization of classrooms, upgrading of technology infrastructure, and to enhance safety on all campuses.
- Create a list of top priority Deferred Maintenance projects as identified in the 2018 Facilities Master Plan and through the use of internal reporting mechanisms for the Board to discuss, prioritize and provide direction on executing identified projects.
5.6 Promote a culture where the use of fiscal resources is connected to student achievement and staff professional development while maintaining fiscal solvency and transparency.
- Create an evaluation process to track the impact and services provided by our district-wide Student Support Plan and report findings to the Board and community at a School Board Meeting prior to the end of the 2021-2022 school year.
5.7 Evaluate current school configurations, district programs, and staffing to optimize organizational efficiency and enhance the opportunities available to students.
- Execute a Facility Analysis study to determine the feasibility, required facility improvements and potential cost of transitioning Brea Junior High to become a middle school (6th-8th grade) campus. Communicate the findings and staff recommendations to the Board and seek direction on moving forward with the project.
- Create an Elementary Classroom Expansion Plan to address anticipated increased classroom facility needs due to development and enrollment increases over the next 1-5 years. Communicate the findings and staff recommendations to the Board and seek direction on moving forward with the project.
- Hire highly qualified staff to execute our Student Support Plan and provide the necessary training and support of all new employees to be successful in their work.
- Hire more diverse staff district-wide to reflect Brea’s changing demographic profile.