The Brea Olinda Unified School District Communications Department offers a semester-long unpaid internship for students attending one of our high schools as a junior or senior. The internship offers students a working office environment, with some remote work, and the opportunity to gain exposure to a broad range of public information, communications and marketing experiences in the public sector, particularly K-12 public education. Under the professional supervision and guidance of the Public & Media Relations Specialist, the intern(s) work directly with the Superintendent of Schools for the BOUSD to improve and enhance the public relations and communications programs extending to the District’s employees, parents, and community.
BOUSD is currently accepting applications for the the 2023 fall semester. More information regarding the internship is provided below.
- Assist with planning, developing, organizing, and delivering a highly visible and comprehensive public relations program to enhance the District’s image to its wide variety of constituents.
- Assist in the coordination and distribution of information to District administrators, employees, the public and media regarding the District’s programs, policies, events, efforts and related District information.
- Assist in facilitating cooperative relationships with city, county, and state organizations to project a positive image of the Brea Olinda Unified School District and to participate in interagency efforts within Orange County and the Brea Olinda Unified School District.
- Assist with production of videos for social media, websites and district messaging
- Photograph special events, students, staff, and programs.
- Plan, compose and produce facts sheets, press releases, graphics and a variety of newsletters to distribute to District personnel and the community.
- Develop and review content for the District website, collaborate with the Superintendent’s Department in implementing content.
- Coordinate information relative to new or developing programs; write or review articles and statements; and advise District administrators and other personnel on public-relations aspects of such programs.
- Other duties as requested or required.
Eligibility and Qualifications:
- Students must be current upperclassman interested in careers in technical journalism, graphic design, broadcasting, communications/PR or similar field.
- Must be willing to attend selected events within BOUSD, sometimes outside of normal office hours.
- Must be self-motivating as some requirements require remote working.
- Must have a record of exemplary attendance, citizenship, discipline, and work ethic.
Application and Selection Process:
Interested students will submit an introduction letter, resume and work samples to Julie St. Cyr - [email protected] by April 28, 2023. Please include related coursework completed. Interviews for the position(s) will be scheduled at the beginning of May.